I've said before that Canada lacks patriotic songs, and I lived to regret saying it.
And yet, here's the topic again. And here's why: I've found what might serve as Canada's answer to the schlocky patriotic songs, most of which happen to be country music, that are played ad nauseum in the U.S. during the days leading up to July 4. Frankly, I consider these "my country, right or wrong" songs more than schlocky--I find them dangerously ignorant. Therefore, I won't be getting any more specific.
So, Canada's answer: Stompin' Tom Connors. He's "country," mostly in the sense of "folk," and "folk" in the sense of Pete Seeger. He's written about Canadian historic tragedies, about potatoes and tomatoes, and hockey. He received six Juno awards--Canada's version of the Grammy--and sent them back because Juno awards are now given to artists who may be Canadian but whose careers are American.
In other words, he's a bit of a contrarian. And he's not even from Alberta, which some call the Texas of Canada. He's from PEI, a cross between Maine (picturesque, Anne of Green Gables) and Idaho (potatoes).
In any case, here's what made me think of this:
But can I just say that I don't know of any American patriotic songs that mention Canada? Yes, I know, "Blame Canada," blah blah. But it's a novelty song. And it's not going to be played this coming week.
