Friday, June 5, 2009

Thermometers Should Come With Disclaimers


The above shows what Wednesday morning looked like. Note the sparkling sun on the water and the blue of the sky. A summer day in June. Right?

That's what I thought. I decided it was the perfect morning to go out in the canoe for the first time. I did think to check the temperature.

The thermometer is mounted outside the kitchen window on the lake side of the house, which receives morning sun. The temperature was somewhere between 60 and 70. Apparently it didn't factor in the wind chill, or the fact that the lake's surface is always colder than the deck in the morning.

I should have done those computations. I should also have worn gloves, a cap, and earmuffs. We froze.

It was beautiful, though.

Later today I'll go back to a leaf-raking project. If I'm lucky and the rain stays away, I'll get to use the chainsaw this weekend to get rid of a couple of trees that have fallen over the roads and the septic field at the bigger camp.

I'll be the one in gloves.