Monday, September 28, 2009

Those Saucy Canadians

I've written before, a couple of times, about food and even what might constitute typical Canadian food.

Recently, my sister, a foodie who also watches decorating shows, mentioned donair. One program features a designer who selects a colo(u)r palette for a couple based on items in their home. In one episode, the designer found an off-white, and the couple was thrilled because the off-white was exactly the colour of donair.

I had never heard of donair--a sweet white garlic sauce, usually used for kebabs--but apparently it's a big deal in Atlantic Canada. It seems to resemble the white sauce I might have seen on a garlic chicken pizza.

So here's a list of "Canadian" foods. Poutine (french fries covered in cheese and gravy), butter tarts, Nanaimo bars, Shreddies (a specific brand of malted wheat cereal). I am also now aware of donair.

Five foods, two of which feature gravy. Go (Oh!) Canada.