In a follow-up to the "buns 'n' butter" post, I offer this nugget of food for thought.
Several years ago, my husband and I were visiting his cousin in Texas. We were talking about traditional Swedish food (mostly white) and how fancy buffets in Thunder Bay include perogies and cabbage rolls. We wondered idly about the process by which an ethnic food becomes accepted as part of a country's own cuisine.
The cousin's granddaughter, age about 8, then said, "I just heard about a new Canadian restaurant opening across town." So we started speculating about the menu: poutine, perogies, and Persians, eh?
But after some careful questions, we realized she was talking about a Cajun restaurant.
And you know what--in a way, a Cajun restaurant is Canadian, sorta, because Cajuns are Arcadians who were exiled from what is now part of Canada...so let the good times roll!
That's the level of thought happening here today, as we watch the snow accumulate.
