Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Uh, Thanks. We Think.

You know how President Obama's first visit to a foreign country was to Canada? And how that was such a big deal here, and how charming everybody found him, and how pleased people were that he showed up?

Back in the day, President Bush's first foreign visit was to Mexico. That's fine. Mexico is a fine country, and the U.S. certainly needed to strengthen that relationship as well. If I were Bush, I'd have gone somewhere other than Canada, too, somewhere more inclined to be, say, happy I was showing up.

Which is what makes this news so puzzling: Bush's first post-presidency speech is to occur in Canada next week. He won't give a speech in the U.S. until June. I learned about all of this from the Center for American Progress, one of those left-leaning think tanks that is coming in from the cold these days.

I don't know whether Bush's impending presence here is intended as a compliment or merely as a necessary evil, as in, "I'll go anywhere to earn 150K in an evening, just for talking!" But, you know, Canadians are a polite folk, so, uh, thanks. Maybe.

Edited to make (some) sense. Thanks to the alert reader who pointed out where it didn't.