Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Pronunciation In Cars and Grocery Stores

Just a quick detour to the world of cars again. Thankfully, not a personal story.

Recently, automobile companies have been in the news. (That was for those readers living under a rock.)

And yesterday, two out of the three Canadian politicians on the panel re-reading Obama's conditions to the Canadian subsidiaries of GM and Chrysler pronounced that last car company as "Cryz-ler," with a "z" (zed) sound instead of the "s."

I don't know why they do that.

They also call that Korean car a "hun-dye" up here. Even the dealers. When I owned a Hyundai Excel, back in the Days of Yore, the material with it said the company name rhymes with Sunday. However, I guess they left that out when they printed the two-language instructions.

And a quick detour through the grocery store's produce aisle: exactly what aisle is that, again? Up here, it's at least 50/50 "PROD-yuce." The rest of the people pronounce it "PRO-duce," like this hick.