Sunday, July 29, 2007

Huh? Ads: Julie "Octopus" Andrews


There's this ad playing here (possibly south of 49, too) that features an animated stay-at-home female octopus who's struggling to keep her home clean and fresh-smelling for her family. The family apparently lives in dry human-land, because the octupus baby sleeps in a crib (occasionally losing one of eight pacifiers) and older octupus children apparently play hockey. (Imagine, if you can, the skate-sharpening fees.)

Furthermore, this stay-at-home octopus sounds exactly like Julie Andrews. If it's not Julie doing the commercial, and I doubt that it is, there's someone out there who can do not only her accent, but the warmth in her voice. It's uncanny.

The product: Airwick Air Fresheners. Because when you think of a smelly home, you automatically assume it's the product of an out-of-their-element, Julie-Andrews-matriarched octopus family. Right?

Why an octopus? Why does she sound like Julie Andrews, other than the fact that everybody loves Julie? Have we all been secretly wondering why Julie's movie sets smell, you know, not so fresh? When Julie sings "Jazz Hot" in Victor/Victoria or twirls in the hills-alive Austrian Alps, who doesn't have an urge to plug in an air freshener?

When I quibble like this, I feel like Dustin Hoffman's character in Tootsie, complaining that tomatoes can't sit down because they don't have knees. He's right, of course; they don't. And I probably will never buy an Airwick plug-in air freshener. Sorry, Julie.