You know what my most un-favo(u)rite word is?
It's "no."
Normally I'd be writing about that word here, in reference to receiving rejections from publications and publishers.
But I have discovered that there are lots of ways to augment the complete sentence that is "no," and many of them are not to my liking.
Most recently, these are my least-favo(u)rites.
"No, you are not a match for your brother" (who, as you may recall, will likely require a stem cell transplant in 2011).
"No, your sister is not, either."
"Oh, and your cousin? No, she isn't, either."
Grrr.
Having two other brothers is hopeful.
But while we're on the subject, could I just urge you to think of doing something I can't? Please consider joining the National Donor Registry. In Canada, go here. In the US, go here.
I live in Canada and am thus directed to join the Canadian program. However, the Canadian program accepts donors only between the ages of 17 and 50. Maybe I should have kept a mailing address in Minnesota (you can be in the US registry till the age of 60).
As I whine about this situation, I remember I am not the patient. To patients, the worst "no" of all would be, "No, we can't find a donor for you."
It's a "no" no one should have to hear--including (selfishly) my brother.
