Thursday, July 1, 2010

Likes and Dislikes, Edited in Red (Happy Canada Day)

Like: Turning the page on the calendar over to the new month. Dislike: The alarming frequency with which I am doing it. Dislike #2: Realizing later that what I mean is rapidity, more than frequency, though frequency is no picnic either. Still, either is better than not turning pages at all.

Like: Pageantry, ritual, pomp, and ceremony. Dislike: Smug unthinking patriotism. It's a tough time of year for one as suspicious as I am.

Like: Writing and playing, paying bills and contributing to the greater social fabric. Dislike: Deadlines and having enough mental capacity to give only to them, not to share with the rest of the possible ways to write and play.

Like: Working when everyone else is on holiday. I get a lot done. Dislike: Working when everyone else is on holiday. I feel I should be more fun. But hey, I like it.