Yesterday I networked to build social capital and cement my role as a thought-leader in my defined space, and to help broaden my tribe to include customers and strangers as well as those with whom I have established trust relationships.
Sorry. Too much time reading business blogs.
Really, I was a funhog: I met people for lunch and then coffee. Yes, there was talk and talk and a little more talk. Probably trust built, ideas exchanged, futures imagined, too. And all in real life, face to face, over food and drink.
The point of writing about it was that I have to say something about my lunch. It was at one of the "storefront" versions, Fox on the Run, of this place, the White Fox Inn.
And what I have to say is this: Umami.
My lunch was a meatloaf sandwich. I love meatloaf and I hardly ever make it because it never tastes as good as my mother's meatloaf tastes in my memory. My sister also makes fabulous meatloaf. And the thing about meatloaf is that it's so much better the next day as a sandwich. So why make something for the purpose of enjoying it as a leftover? I don't really get that.
In any case, yesterday someone else had gone to the trouble of making meatloaf, and there was the sandwich, so I splurged. The first bite made my tastebuds dance, and then I was speechless (and not only because my mouth was full). The building of trust and thought-leadership paused momentarily. Because topping that meatloaf was...a slice of bacon.
Yeah. Bacon: for when meatloaf just isn't enough.
Man, I love this country.
Full disclosure: The White Fox Inn is owned and operated by family members of the other tenor in the church choir (yes, I'm a "girl tenor"; I'm an easily bored low alto and enjoy a challenge). Satch and his wife are in California right now and have no idea I'm writing this. I'm pretty sure Satch doesn't know what a blog is. In any case, I get nothing for writing this. Except the chance to relive the meatloaf sandwich ad infinitum without adding it to my caloric intake in real life.
