Monday, May 18, 2009

Putting the "Wild" in "Wildlife"

In semi-rural northwestern Ontario, we see ravens and crows, as well as various types of woodpeckers and chickadees, year-round. Deer, too. The smaller birds--white-throated sparrows, warblers, some plover-like things, northern flickers--mostly disappear in the winter but are around spring, summer, and fall. Gulls, too. And of course the migratory birds (ducks, teals, wigeons, geese, cormorants) do their thing in the fall (flock and disappear) and spring (reappear and pair up).

The point is that some of what I used to think of as "wildlife" doesn't seem as wild as it once did.

But there are still exceptions, and twice this weekend I saw what still "counts" as wildlife to me.

Friday morning, a bear cub nosed around the entrance to the dump. I didn't see the mother, but there no doubt was one not far off, monitoring the situation.

Last night at about 8:30, WHEN THE SUN WAS STILL UP!!!! though setting behind the house, a hummingbird flew past the sliders on the lake side. No, it wasn't a bat or a moth. I know a hummer when I see one, and he did, too, though he fortunately didn't attack the bird in the glass.

So spring arrives, along with the chores Yang Time brings. Once again I'm slightly distracted by all the outdoor projects I could do and am trying to focus on one to get it finished.

Meanwhile, the weather is conducive to outdoor work on days when I have town commitments and precipitates when I'm free.

And yesterday I bought a new shiny electronic object that's clean: a Netbook. An extravagance but oh so fun.

Yep. Spring. And summer is next.