I've been trying to return to normal life this week but it's been tough going. I've been dreaming of a post-Bush world since, what, November of 2000. Eight years later, it's on its way and I don't know what else to think about.
Of course that description is an exaggeration. Politics has been an interest of mine, in a sideways way, for years. My father and I could always bond over a discussion of the vagaries of the political system. But I'm not a politician. I don't write seriously about politics. I'm probably more informed than the average Joe, lastname The Plumber or Six-Pack or whatever you want to dream up. But that isn't saying much. It really hasn't been my life. I can't imagine the kind of withdrawal actual political junkies are going through.
So I've been trying to work (with a little success, yippee). Reading the magazines that piled up while we were gone. Taking care of business, which is easily a half- or even three-quarter-time job. Picking up and opening books, and putting them down again before getting past the first paragraph.
And walking, rain or about-to-rain or momentarily-finished-with-the-rain. (Those seem to be November's weather options.) While walking, I've seen a doe, a blue jay, a pileated woodpecker, various whiskey jacks, and chickadees. The other night we were driving into town for an event and bobcat crossed the road in front of us. That's always cool.
The photo above is about six weeks old. When I was uploading photos earlier today, I thought of that line from Ain't Misbehavin': "Everybody needs a little gold, baby."
So that's what I got. A little gold. Enjoy.
