Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Speaking of Imaginary Boundaries

Sometimest I think one of the most imaginary of all boundaries is one in our minds--the one that lets us think we have "tamed" nature, when really she's just toying with us.

I have complained a lot lately about the rain, but I do know that for me, the weather is just an inconvenience. It's not a life-or-death struggle. I'm not in danger of losing anything--property or my life. I don't have to sleep outside in it. It isn't ruining my livelihood.

That is not the case elsewhere. Here in northwestern Ontario, the June 6 storm and the ongoing rain in the following week flooded basements, stranded families, and washed out highways. Here's a photo archive link. People familiar with the area will note that photo flood_027 shows Kakabeka Falls with water pouring over the entire surface of the falls. Many years in recent memory, the water trickled over just one surface.

Locally, the authorities opened a dam early last week, even knowing it would keep the water level of the Kaministiquia River high, because they were concerned that the dam otherwise wouldn't hold.

Also, the waters keep rolling down the middle of the U.S. A Mississippi River levee has broken. Two dozen counties in Iowa have been declared disaster areas. This devastation is very real, and it continues.

A public forum in town last night discussed water levels in the Great Lakes. Lake Superior is indisputably low, although it's far higher than last year, which was an 80-year record low (basically, the lowest since they've been tracking). One serious question raised was not only how to alleviate the low water level, but whether trying is even a good idea.

Obviously, people who live here want all "good" weather, all the time. We're willing to accept a little rain if it means our docks extend into the lake again. We want to be sure our commercial lives aren't hurt, either--ships need to be able to dock in harbors.

But truthfully, those are lifestyle issues. What are the consequences of using artificial means to keep water levels high?

These are the serious questions, the serious considerations. My stuff is just whining. I know that.