The pile itself is down by the pine trees between the house and the lake, just in front of where we "store" the canoe and rowboat for the winter. Where the bucks were sparring.
The deer used to hang out there but recently have stayed in the back 40, nearer the road, under the pines out there. And now I think I know why.
Darn. The bears woke up before I was ready for them.
And I just happened on the pile, too--finding it was an accident, and I suppose I'd have to call it a happy one, since it's always better to know. I'd gone to retrieve the windsock from the reeds, where it had blown during one of the windstorms this season. Before that, I'd done feeder duty. The seed in the birdfeeder on the deck had been wet, then frozen. Generally, it had been yucky for a few days. I brought in the feeder to wash it, thinking I'd put some fresh out for the chickadees this morning.
Only now, perhaps not.
And I just wish I'd seen this pile before I emptied the feeder sludge onto the ground just outside my office window. Although I have to say, it is a front-row seat for whatever, or whoever, happens by. So far, all we have is a squirrel, who seems extraordinarily happy.
