Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Power of a Name, Part Deux

This morning, Canada AM had a substitute weather guy on: Anwar. Sometimes they have a third-string substitute news guy named Omar (they use him if Marci and Jennifer are busy). One of my favo(u)rite CBC radio shows is Q, which is hosted every afternoon by Jian Gomeshi.

I mention this because I can't imagine a similar situation in the U.S. There, regular national broadcasters with names like these would not work without extensive commentary about "ground-breaking," tokenism, blah blah blah.

Sorta like yesterday, when Barak Obama had to address issues surrounding race yet again. Someday, I hope, the U.S. will close in on that dream of Dr. King's, the one in which a person is judged by the content of his (or her!) character instead of the color of his (or her!) skin. It's not a good sign when Senator Obama catches flak because of his name.

Oh sure, issues of race and religion simmer under the surface up here. I've heard my share of racist comments made by Canadians of English and Scottish descent, and not a few comments by those whose parents or grandparents were born in Scandinavia, mostly about aboriginals. Contrary to popular belief up here, the U.S. hasn't cornered the market on ignorance.

But meanwhile, north of 49, people of all backgrounds and faiths work everywhere, run for office, make mistakes, write songs, read the news, and even forecast the weather. All without particular comment. I have to say, it's restful.