Monday, January 21, 2008

No, Really, THIS is Cold


So you may recall that we tried skiing on Friday and it was very unpleasant because the temperature was low--some -2F or -4F. Ha. Little did I know how low it could go! That thermometer says -18F. That's 18 BELOW 0. Fahrenheit.

Yesterday I had the car plugged in for two hours before I drove it. It started OK, albeit reluctantly. It even warmed up for several minutes because scraping the ice from the windshield and windows took while. However, it was still incredibly difficult to make a simple turn--for about a half hour. By the time I got to town, the poor thing was running about normally.

Clear, cold weather is normal for this time of year. If the larger bay--beyond our end of it, all the way down to the city of Thunder Bay--is going to freeze, now is the time. It's the kind of cold people, on both sides of the border, warned me about before I moved here. It's the kind of cold that locals love to complain about.

And on Saturday night, after dark on a very cold day, I saw the unmistakeable lights of snowmobiles on the lake. They weren't out far and they weren't taking chances, but I couldn't imagine anyone sitting relatively still on a machine and staying any kind of warm.

Today is "warmer"--about -12F. But I learned my lesson on Friday--I ain't skiing.