Friday, November 9, 2007

Everyone Remembers

I said before that Remembrance Day is taken seriously here. Since Halloween, or even earlier, collars and lapels across the country have been sporting poppies. I don't have one, so I can't photograph it, and rather than borrow an image and risk copyright issues, I'll just link to one.

Everyone, and I mean almost everyone except me, wears a poppy. News anchors and other on-camera personalities, politicians, store owners, checkers at Safeway, teachers, the workers at the gym--everybody.

But today I saw poppies on two lapels that surprised me. This morning, Canada A.M. had one of its usual hard-hitting segments in the 8:30 half-hour; this one was about using makeup to look 10 years young and 5 pounds thinner. Seamus O'Regan, the interviewer, wore a poppy; the makeup artist hawking her book wore a poppy. Of course. But the models for each type of makeup also sported poppies on their shoulders in their After shots.

As for me, I don't NOT wear a poppy; I just don't wear one. I don't seek it out and I don't avoid it. I don't wear American Flag lapel pins, either; I never have.

I mean no criticism of those who choose to wear anything like that when I say this--but I really don't know why I would wear a poppy or, for example, tie a yellow ribbon to my car antenna or wear red on Friday to "support the troops." Wearing a poppy shouldn't be like showing school spirit or supporting a football team--the poppy represents the unimaginable sacrifices veterans make when they sign up to serve in the military. A poppy is NOT just another fashion accessory.

Besides, people mistake wearing poppies for caring. You can wear a poppy but begrudge veterans their subsidized housing. Poppy-wearers are among those whose votes cut veterans' benefits and pensions. Drivers sporting poppies honk at veterans hobbling through intersections. They make fun of Great-Uncle Sven, or Aldo, behind his back and roll their eyes when he wants to tell a story at Thanksgiving.

So, here's my soapbox. Take a veteran out for coffee. Spend an hour listening to her stories of deprivation, boredom, terror, and sacrifice. Do your best to be always patient and respectful to the people around you who are also enjoying the freedoms that veterans have fought for. Then wear a poppy--you've earned it.