Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Citizenship: You Brought Your #2 Pencils, Right?

As I have said, citizenship is in the news up here. I'm eligible to take the test to become a Canadian citizen because I have lived here for three years as a permanent resident.

But I like to ace tests. I like to be 100 percent at things. I haven't had a chance to study. And based on what I saw last night, I may need some study time.

Last night on TV Ontario (the .5 channel of our 2.5 channels), The Agenda assembled a panel to discuss multiculturalism and citizenship. A lot of it was yawn-inducing, but some was not. People seemed to think the test was either trivial or not, and it either could use some tweaking or was fine as is. (They disagreed politely, of course.)

However, the questions they mentioned sounded hard to me. As I told the panel last night, "How many Canadians born in Canada could pass this test?" (They didn't respond. Darn this old broadcast-style technology.)

Let's get started. You're on the hono(u)r system.

1. How many electoral districts are there in Canada? (This question is under the Federal Elections heading, if that helps.) Your options: 101, 211, 308, 176.

2. Who is Canada's Head of State? Your options: Queen Elizabeth II, Jean Chretien, Adrienne Clarkson, Wayne Gretsky

3. Which animal is an official symbol of Canada? Your options: Moose, Black Bear, Canadian Loon, Beaver

For you giggling Americans, here are some of your questions. These are short answer.

1. What is the supreme court law of the United States?

2. Who elects the president of the United States?

3. Whose rights are guaranteed by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights?

Not as easy as it sounds, is it? At least attempt answers before reading on. Don't think of it as "being stupid." Think of it as an opportunity to learn. A knowledge gap to be filled.

Answers for the Canadian test: 308, QE II, and the Beaver. I happened to get these correct (it was a total guess on the electoral districts) on the practice test. I missed the questions (not reproduced here) about how often elections must be held and which rights are protected in the Charter.

Answers for the American test: the Constitution, the electoral college, and everyone living in the U.S. (citizen and non-citizen alike). Surprised?

To take a sample Canadian test, go here. To see an American Q&A, go here (it's at About.com, but taken from the .gov site). Note how many of the questions on the U.S. test relate to the flag. There's even a question about an incendiary statement possibly made by a patriot a couple hundred years ago. If you want to study up for the U.S. test, here are some resources.

And last, but not least, a question for those on both sides of the border:

4. How many 9/11 terrorists came into the U.S. from Canada?

Thank you for your attention. Class dismissed.