The BIG newspaper of the week in this country is the Saturday paper. In the U.S., it's the Sunday paper. You wouldn't think one day's difference would matter, but it does.
For years, I wasn't a church-goer. Sunday morning meant reading the paper, front to back, with coffee. Sometimes I could handle watching a morning political show at the same time, sometimes not. (It depended on whether I was shouting follow-up questions at the TV.) Still, a leisurely cup (or four) of coffee while reading features about travel, books, home renovations--even gardening--was a luxurious break for the week.
Each weekend day has a unique flavo(u)r. For me, Saturday was about chores, the "should have dones." Sunday was about possibilities, the "could still do's." It was a fresh start, a new week, a time to broaden my intellectual horizons with the newspaper. Admittedly, some of my hometown papers were more stimulating than others, but still.
Of course, my life is different now. Every day is a work day, but every day is a holiday when you're semi-retired from outside work and focusing on writing, as I now am. My life is different, but so is everybody's: you and I could browse the New York Times online every day. (Usually I find I don't have that kind of time.) A lot of interesting content is available online, and you don't have to wash your hands after you read it.
Newspapers still hold their appeal, though. During my recent visit to Washington DC, reading the Post thoroughly on Wednesday was a ton of fun.
Here, the Saturday paper carries the display ads with the big jobs. It has the local features, the Canadian Press content (renovations, recipes, entertainment, decorating), and all the funky classified ads. Most important, the local editorial page carries the "Thumbs up, Thumbs down" feature in which readers write in to chastise or praise their neighbo(u)rs and local organizations. It's hugely popular.
The Sunday paper does have the big crossword puzzle. But if you're looking for a new house, car, or job--or if you want to run an obituary when everyone will see it--buy the Saturday paper.
Culture shock isn't always about the big differences. You can prepare yourself somewhat for the big ones. Sometimes it's a very small thing that gives an entirely different rhythm to your life in a new country.
