
When you're living in a relatively new place, you expect some differences. Other differences catch you by surprise. And then there are the differences that you don't know how to classify mentally. You wonder if this situation you're experiencing is typical of your new home or if it's something that hardly ever happens but you just happened to catch it.
For example, I'm in the market for nonfat cheese. (I know--not really food, nothing I'd want to put in my body, blah blah. Sometimes ya gotta.) I shop at a chain grocery store that's more or less in my neighborhood, given that I live in the country. It's a Safeway, the one my parents always went to. It is not the newest, biggest Safeway in town. It's not the coolest grocery store. But I know where things are. And it's convenient to what used to be downtown, where one of my banks still is.
Anyway, I can't find any nonfat cheese. And I don't know if it's simply not available at that particular Safeway, or if it's not available generally in Thunder Bay but might be available in southern Ontario or Vancouver, or if it's not available in Canada. Maybe they call it something else up here. Maybe they know nonfat cheese isn't really a food and they sell it at another store.
Of course, I could go to the biggest, newest Safeway and look. I could scope out the other chains. I could go to the specialty market and risk experiencing their disdain when I ask for this nonfood item. And maybe I will, eventually, do one or some of those. Meanwhile, I wonder.
This is just a silly example--a little thing. But sometimes those are the most difficult parts of adjusting to a new place. The little things wear on you.
And by the way, the sunset is no anomaly. It pretty much always looks like the photo. Not to gloat or anything.
EDITED to add: That might actually be a sunrise. The sky to the east gets pink both times.
