Friday, March 5, 2010

Not the Bahamas

This is also not about politics, either. You're welcome.

It's a pronunciation note. I cannot believe I haven't blogged this one before, but apparently not.

It has to do with space: specifically, NASA.

In the U.S., this agency is known as "NASS-uh."

In Canada, often it comes out as "NASS-awe." Like Nassau, that resort destination in the Bahamas.

I've heard it from "just folks," which is interesting but not really a reliable litmus test. But I also hear it from morning news program people, on both TV and radio. That's people. As in, more than one.

It's become something I listen for when I listen to Canadian politicians--much as "nuclear" is something I listen to American politicians pronounce. And yes, I am a nuclear snob. "Nuke-u-lar" is just lazy, people. And a little frightening.

Preserving democracy through standard pronunciation: my work here is done.