...has invaded our home. Fortunately for me, I'm still well. However, my husband is not.
When I got s-ick with any kind of gastroenteritis thing in the U.S., I knew that resting at home and replacing fluids were my treatments. For one thing, that's all that ever worked. And for another, it was extremely expensive to go to the doctor to be told to rest at home and replace fluids. Especially when I already knew that.
But here, going to the ER (or what is called Emerg [pronounced emerge] in this country) isn't guaranteed to cost a small fortune. It's an actual feasible thing to do, if you don't mind being triaged with a bunch of other sick people.
So because it's an option, I wonder: when do I go (or drag Mr. Sick)? I know what they will say: stay home, rest, replace fluids. So we don't go. And I hope that if/when I am really coping with something beyond my medical experience, I remember that I can get help without concern for cost.
Sorry to rub it in, Americans. But I have to say, that peace of mind is worth paying taxes for.
