Monday, February 8, 2010

On Supporting One's Work

While on vacation, I'm working. Or vice versa. It's hard to tell. (Boundary/border issues, anyone?)

At the suggestion of another writer, I'm also reading Art and Fear, a compendium of excellent reflections on...well. Art, by which I mean writing and work. And fear, which I sometimes confuse with life because it is awfully sneaky.

Here's a little food for thought I ran across today:

A reminder from history: The American Revolution was not financed with matching Grants from the Crown.

I like to imagine that that statement is true even when the work isn't meant to be revolutionary--"just" work, writing, art.

Fortunately, I don't mind working while on vacation, or vacating a bit while at work. Mostly, I'm fortunate to have the work, and I know it. Especially on Mondays, when I have exchanged a view of a frozen bay for a view of a grapefruit tree.

Thank you, David Bayles and Ted Orland.