OK, I couldn't resist the title. Too late to claim "innocent." Gotta work with what I got.
We're on the road, soon to be home. Here are a few observations from the asphalt ribbon. (I'm sparing you the obnoxious healthcare conversation I got lured into on the flight between Denver and Tucson; it was a week ago and I'm still annoyed.)
The restrooms in the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum have sunscreen dispensers (SPF 30). For free. With a little lesson in how to apply sunscreen so as to prevent skin cancer. (Hint: use more than you think you need to.) What great customer service!! On a normal hot Arizona day, wearing sunscreen doesn't do anything but keep you from "experiencing slight discomfort" (sunburn or skin cancer) AFTER you leave the museum--but the Desert Museum cares about its customers' long-term health. I think that's socially responsible in the best possible way.
It's been a day for watching birds, if only we knew everything we were looking at. In terms of birds that hang out low to the ground, we saw several roadrunners this morning in New Mexico and pheasants in the Texas panhandle this afternoon. Also eagles, hawks, merlins (maybe), and other birds of prey. Plus a turquoise-blue small fat thing--like a robin, only blue all over--that we fortunately didn't hit with the car. I hate to think what would happen to those who squish the bluebird of happiness.
The Holiday Inn Express in Liberal, Kansas, features a Wizard of Oz "kids' room." I don't know what's in there because we don't qualify as kids. Dang. However, there's Oz memorabilia all over the walls. In any case, I already know Dorothy's lesson: there really IS no place like home.
Where I will be soon. I hope. Yes, this is a whole 'nother country.
