Last night, I caught a bit of the CBC Sunday evening news. They end with a wrap-up of stories they want us to be sure to be aware of in the coming week. Here are their top three:
- Today, the House of Commons starts its debate on the role of Canada's troops in Afghanistan. It looks as if the government won't fall based on any Afghanistan-related action, but things can change in this wacky country.
- Later in the week, the Finance Minister will release the government's proposed budget. It is another topic that could trigger a federal election.
- Also, late this week is the deadline for hockey trades. Teams across the country will be looking to improve their chances of winning the Stanley Cup.
I had lunch yesterday with three ladies I know from church. After many disclaimers about how little they enjoy watching curling and how they wish something else had been on, they analyzed Saturday's playoffs in excruciating detail. They had even picked their favo(u)rites for yesterday's finals. Or whatever they were.
In any case, last night I was relieved to know two things. First, that apparently nothing of importance happened while I was on a news blackout for the past few days. And second, it's great that the intrepid CBC reporters will be watching the hockey trades. I'm sleeping better already--but that's because I'm back in a wonderful bed, the box spring of which came through the window of the upstairs bedroom. We set up the ladder on the snow-covered deck, tied a rope around the box spring, and shoved while our friend in the bedroom pulled. It was ugly, but it worked.
Meanwhile, last night people who make obscene amounts of money to wear makeup and speak someone else's lines took home gold statues. Speaking of absurd-istan.
Anyone want some fabulous, sturdy boxes?
