Thursday, February 21, 2008

Consolidating


For the past three-plus years, I've had an apartment in Thunder Bay proper. That's a morning view from my balcony, left.
This week, I'm moving what my mother used to call "goods and chattels" to my husband's house just outside town and giving up the apartment.

It's time. At this point in our lives, the apartment is an extravagance. Of course, it's had its advantages. It's still sometimes nice to have a place to shower in town between hitting the gym and going to a meeting. I had thought it would be nice to stay in town on winter nights that we have evening events. It is nice, but it's not necessary. I've been tempted exactly twice this winter, and renting even a luxury hotel room twice in a winter would be far less expensive than renting an apartment for a year.

In this hemisphere, February is not the ideal month to move. However, what with one thing and another, that's the way it's worked out, and we seem to have lucked out, weather-wise. It should be in the teens tomorrow, our moving-truck day. Better than yesterday, when the high was in single digits F with double-digit wind chill.

In any case, that's where I am--moving box after box of what??, shouldering a mattress and box spring set upstairs, trying not to slip on icy sidewalks.

At this time next week, we should be finished. Everything I own in the world will be in one place for the first time since my first dorm room thirty years ago. I'm crossing another boundary. More adulthood. Sigh.