Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Coulda, Shoulda--but Woulda?

After complaining for awhile that I'm not eligible to vote in primaries, I read an article in the newspaper that says otherwise. Apparently both Democrats and Republicans have an official arm for party members who live abroad. This year, these citizens are allowed to vote in primaries.

Unfortunately, unless I can get to Winnipeg sometime today (the closest polling place), I can't participate after all. Registration for online and fax voting closed last week. However, I did start looking at the looooooong process I'll have to undertake to vote in November's general election. Sheesh.

So now I could have voted, and I should have voted, in some primary somewhere. But I'm not sure I would have. I have recused myself from caring about the primaries because I thought I couldn't participate--so I haven't made up my mind about any of the candidates. With the responsibility of actually participating in the process resting on my shoulders, I wouldn't be able to say "what the hell" and cast a vote. This time, my primary vote would have mattered to me as much as the general election vote always does.

I knew only because of an AP wire story on the back of the first section today. If only I'd known before!