Thursday, December 23, 2010

What It's Like

Most Canadians have only a vague idea of (and vague-r interest in) where Oklahoma is. I usually explain it's "Texas lite."

What is impossible to explain is what it's like to live there. How you can have regular conversations with people who are so kind and generous, and then hear them say that they hate people whose skin is a slightly different color. People who are polite and thoughtful but wonder why you don't drape your life in the stars and stripes--are you not patriotic?

What's impossible to understand is how easy it is to give up hope. It's easier to not speak up, because speaking up isn't successful, and it makes you a target. Because money, especially oil money, wins over people every. single. time. That truth, and it is TRUE, leads people, especially those who are liberal politically, to be very good at analyzing problems and not so good at finding solutions. Lots of dinner table complaining to those of like minds, less effort to change minds and policies.

So when I run into someoneo who can express this mixed bag of feelings, I share.

Here, watch this.



Here are some of my favo(u)rite lines:
"billboards with hate-sized font"
"looking for a sign" "a fish with feet"
"where the sunset stretches its arms wide as forgiveness across stolen plains"
"do not apologize for your presence"

Here's one I'm not sure I believe, but I'm glad she does.
"Oklahoma is worth the wait."

Did you also notice what she does in this piece? She gives those who live there--those with family there, those who are staying there for work or to raise children--coping strategies. Hono(u)r Woody Guthrie, learn your history (you'll note that the plains are stolen), show others you love them even though you don't understand them. She shows them a way to hope, a way to take action to support that hope.

Go Lauren! For more of her poetry (which is excellent), go to www.laurenzuniga.com.