Instead, this is about something King George VI said in his Christmas message of 1939. Europe was at war.
A new year is at hand. We cannot tell what it will bring. If it brings a peace, how thankful we shall all be. If it bring us continued struggle, we shall remain undaunted. In the meantime, I feel that we shall find a message of encouragement in the lines which in my closing words I would like to say to you:
"I said to the man who stood at the Gate of the Year, 'Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.' And he replied, 'Go out into the darkness, and put your hand into the Hand of God. That shall be to you better than light, and safer than a known way.'"
May that Almighty Hand guide and uphold us all.
You can hear the King give this address at this CBC site. The full text of the poem, which is by an American, Minnie Louise Haskins, is available here. This quote was so meaningful to Queen Elizabeth (who became the Queen Mother) that she put it up on plaques at various homes; it was also read at her funeral.
This space tends to be a religion-free zone. However, many people I know are heading into difficult times or at least facing new experiences that have uncertain outcomes.
A friend shared this quote with me last night. It has helped me, an uber control freak, to remember that sometimes all we can do is trust and have faith--and perhaps it doesn't matter whether that faith is in each other, in our own resilience, in a specific external Deity, or in the power of love.
Happy 2010, and high hopes for 2011.
