Friday, August 13, 2010

Well...

So, people are coming to visit. That means I'm obsessing about the level of water in the well. Which I do with some frequency. Even though I know how it works, the diagrams and whatnot.

Most of the year, the well produces enough water for the two of us to do daily ablutions and one water-sucking activity, such as run the dishwasher or wash a load of laundry. Maybe two loads of laundry, if they're both medium-sized. It has to do with the 40 feet of clay through which the fresh water must filter when it slowly fills the well.

Most of the year, I don't have to think about the water, but when I do--which is late summer--I do.

And when do people come visit? Yes. Late summer.

Anyway, this year I have been trying not to whine about the high humidity. I grew up with 99 degrees and 99% humidity, so I know about humidity, and I know that what we have isn't nearly that bad, blah blah.

I also know that a constant 75% humidity is NOT NORMAL here, and we don't have air conditioning to take the moisture from the air, and every surface in the house feels wet. The facecloth doesn't dry out from evening to evening. (Also, I will point out, I live HERE because we DON'T have 99/99, so it seems unfair for high humidity to chase me up here.)

Mostly I can be grateful for this summer. The temperature is generally nice--also in the 70s (today). The breeze is also nice. Just damp. I'm just not used to living in a clammy, clammy world.

On the up side, when the visitors want to take a shower, I can hand them bars of soap and send them outside to dance. They don't even have to go in the lake. The air is liquid enough.

See? That's me, always looking for the up side.