Thursday, December 3, 2009

Thursday Miscellany

Because none of these is really a topic unto itself.

  • Pronunciation: I have heard two people up here (one famous and one no so much) pronounce the first syllable of "frontier" to rhyme with "prawn." Or as if the person is saying "frond-tier" without an audible d. I realize that it's irresponsible to generalize when n = 2, so I'm keeping my ears open.
  • American gate-crashers: In West Wing World, Chief of Staff Leo McGarry would use the incident at the recent U.S. state dinner as further evidence that his staff can't even eat a pancake breakfast without screwing up somehow. I wonder how many low-level staffers crowd around to watch old episodes to see what is coming. You'd think they'd expend some effort trying to prevent easily preventable foul-ups. Though truthfully, if they're watching West Wing episodes, they probably let the couple in because the wife is a ringer for Donna Moss. Only more superficial. And with worse hair, speaking of superficial.
  • Canadian politics: Oh for crying out loud. I agree with Paul Wells in the recent print edition of Macleans. Torture, harmonizing (raising) sales taxes, Copenhagen and climate change -- up here, it's not about the issues. That would require discussion of, well, torture, taxation, and climate change. No, Wells says, and I agree, that it's all about the polls: what does this issue mean to the government? Will this issue inspire the Liberals to cause this government to fall? If so, will Harper win his majority?
  • Culture: Today's aria from the opera Harper in China is entitled, "I know you are but what am I?" It opens, "It's been too long since the Canadian Prime Minister came to Canada, and oh by the way how dare you lecture us about human rights, you torturer of Afghan detainees?" to which our hero(?) replies, "And how long has it been since Chinese leaders visited us, purveyor of lethal baby formula and false visuals from YOUR Olympics?" It closes with a unison chorus of "Hello, pot? This is kettle. You're black."

Yesterday the bay outside our house was clear. Today it has ice floes, the first of the season. Plus snow, on an otherwise sunny day. Life is good, in other words. (Except for the torture, taxation, and climate change parts.)