Monday, June 22, 2009

Insights (?) from International Travel

"They" say that there's nothing like a little international travel to broaden one's horizons.

I'm not sure that going from one's home in Canada to a sibling's home in the U.S. counts as "international travel," except in all the ways in which it does, which I have been blogging about here for a couple of years now. The two countries being different and all. Different cultures and whatnot.

However, it's true that changing one's routine can yield insights into one's self.

Here's mine: I drink a lot of coffee. I mean, a lot. At home, I share a coffeepot. Here, I'm the only one emptying it. And it empties, early and often. And thus, here's what I'm currently pondering. For what value of "how much" does "how much = "too much"?

Other tidbits. "Everyone" in the U.S. goes to a gym (or does some form of formal exercise) or seems to feel guilty about not going or doing it. "It's a dry heat" can truly be a meaningful statement; low humidity makes 100 degrees F bearable, especially when a swimming pool is available. The best way to watch a reality show is on a "marathon" weekend, when you know by 11 p.m. who America's next top model was, back in Season 6, whatever year that was.

The biggest question, though, is this: when one's normal life is pretty great, what does "vacation" mean?

I'll leave you to it. I'm taking my coffee (cold) down to the pool.