Friday, September 12, 2008

Remembrance




I didn't post anything yesterday. Partly, I remained silent to show respect to all who died and lost loved ones in the terrorist attacks in 2001, and partly, it was in tribute to those who die every day from acts of terrorism, in relative obscurity. I was silent in part because I hear no sense in sentences that refer to the "war on terror" or demand that I "support the troops." I hear no sense and have no answer.

But I did something yesterday that I am pleased to talk about today. I requested my ballot for the U.S. federal election. I printed the forms that will allow me to vote if my ballot doesn't arrive in time. I marked my calendar so that I can send my ballot in time for it to be counted.

There is a time for silence and a time to speak. I have remained silent in the past and I will choose silence in the future. But I will speak in this election.