I heard on the radio this morning that this is the wettest June (maybe spring--I wasn't listening at first) in the past 27 years. If the statistic was for June, we have another couple of weeks. If the stat was for spring, we get to start over this weekend. Hooray.
However, it seems that people, by which I mean "people other than I," are learning to deal with it. At the gym yesterday, the ladies were comparing notes about gardens. (Yet again.) One woman said she'd put her annuals in over the weekend, dodging the rain showers to do so. The whole "planting a garden" thing is a future event for this household.
However, the same entity that gave the stats on the 27-year record (Environment Canada, I think) also said that July will be warm and dry. I think they're just trying to make us feel better.
Regardless, I have decided it's also time for me to learn (in the words of my nephew) to Just Deal With It. I'm not like one who doesn't have a rain jacket. There's plenty of work outside to be done, even if we never get around to putting in a garden. And I am definitely not so sweet I'd melt (southern joke). So, time to hop to.
Besides, I can't stand staying inside any more. It makes me do stupid things. Yes, I even watched The Maria Show (meet the Marias!).
My excuse is that I'm still new to reality TV, since I didn't keep up with the ur-Reality Show, MTV's The Real World, except in re-runs; I have completely eschewed all Survivor/Eat Bugs and Jump From Airplanes/Show Off Your Talent Shows. I was a fan of the home improvement/reality shows but in my own defense I hated the reality parts. I watched only for the decorating parts. I realize that it sounds like getting a porn magazine "for the articles," but I swear it was true.
Until last summer's Canadian Idol, that is. Midsummer, emotionally drained, needing mindless entertainment--well, Canadian Idol was the perfect outlet. What can I say. I didn't vote, though, and I wouldn't joke about a thing like that.
Since then, I've been indulging in reality shows, even when I should have been doing things like downward dogs, or organizing my bank records, or throwing away the odds and ends of plasticware that accumulate in the kitchen.
But I know that's an excuse, not a reason. Even I'm embarrassed about Maria, especially after going on and on about how stupid the concept is. Now that I've confessed (Hi, my name is Marion, and I watched the first two episodes of Maria and secretly dreamed of attending Maria School [just kidding], but I've been abstinent for more than 12 hours now), I am back on the wagon.
My theory is that physical exercise in nature will remind me of my own better nature. Also, there's no TV or internet out there. Also, if I do get wet, perhaps I will return to my normal ironic and oh-so-serious self. Like getting smacked in the face after you've fainted.
So I'm heading out for some face-smacking brush work, rain or no rain, forecast (mixed clouds and showers this afternoon) be damned. Wish me luck.
