I admit it--I needed a break from "spring" weather north of 49. The real reason I'm here, however, is that yesterday was the one-year anniversary of my father's death, and I wanted to spend it with my sister, who was also there, in the place where it happened.
Yesterday was a great day, just as the time of my father's month-long illness last year was a wonderful time. It wasn't exactly fun--but it was oh-so-very rewarding. It's a luxury to have crystal-clear priorities, to know you are exactly where you need to be, for your presence in a situation to be enough. What a gift that was.
Yesterday, my sister and I attended a morning service at the Episcopal church where my father went to his last service and whose priests supported all of us last year. (My sister also works there.) I then spent time learning about technology for a volunteer project I'm involved in back home. Later, my sister and I got pedicures in hono(u)r of Daddy and went to a fancy restaurant in the same plaza for appetizers.
I'm serious about the pedicures. My father was always so pleased that my sister and I get along well. Many a visit, we'd be doing something silly together while he smiled at us over his crossword puzzle. Pedicures are one of those ultimate nurturing, spiritual experiences--a lot of foot-washing goes on in the Bible, after all.
In the midst of our celebration and remembrance, we also had news that my brother's father-in-law passed away yesterday--the same day, one year later. Another family confronts a long-dreaded day, figures out what changes need to be made, struggles together to make them. They are in our thoughts and prayers. I hope the time in which they create a "new reality" turns out to be as rewarding for them as it was for me.
So this visit has had many purposes, not the least of which has been to let me sit outside in April with nary a trace of fleece. I'd post pictures but it seems too much like gloating.
