Monday, March 31, 2008

Deer Watching

Deer have been hanging out around here all winter. For the last couple of days, they show up at dusk or in the very early morning. Sometimes they lie down under the pines. You can watch them chewing their cud.

Yesterday we had the twins and mother. I swear the mother is pregnant, which makes me wonder why she still tolerates the twins--I thought deer parents cast off the yearlings before acquiring another load. However, these twins are still small, and we suspect they were late arrivals. And anyway, what do I know of deer.

More often than not these days, they're right up by the side of the house. The spot where they tend to be has a patch of rhubarb and some tiger lilies. Or perhaps I should say "had" some rhubarb and tiger lilies. They also like the cedar shrubs in front.

And that's about it. Just watchin' the deer, waitin' for spring.