Friday, January 4, 2008

Eye-Oh-Yawn


I try to keep up, in general, with news from the U.S. (though not by listening to Fireside Chats, as at left, from the new FDR memorial in Washington, DC). However, I'm trying hard to not pay too much attention to the Iowa caucuses or any of the myriad other upcoming primaries, because I don't have an opportunity to participate. At the same time, I'm also trying hard not to ignore them completely. It's a tricky balance.

When I lived in the U.S., I firmly believed I could influence the political process. I voted, I wrote letters, I talked and debated and changed my mind (occasionally). Sometimes I held onto that belief blindly, as a hedge against despair. Now that I live up here, I can't cling to that belief anymore. I don't live in a specific U.S. state. I don't get to participate in the process of selecting a Presidential candidate, which is managed by the political parties, because it's based on residence. Once the vote between the official candidates happens, I can vote. I think. (Note to self: find out how to get that ballot.)

Not being able to participate is a bit frustrating, but it's mostly a relief. I can save mental energy for other things on my to-do list--although none of them is as alluring as the thing I can't do, which is always the case. Continuing to focus on the tasks that will take me toward a future, political, professional, and personal, in which I do participate will require discipline, so welcome to January and resolutions and all that.

Still, I take comfort in this: it's far too late in the process for a dark horse. Therefore, I know the name of the person I'll eventually have the opportunity to vote for. I just don't know which one it will be.

The ultimate in frustration, however, would be if the opposition parties bring down the Canadian federal government this spring and force an election. Then everybody on both sides of the border would have election fever, and I'd still be sitting on the sidelines. That will be my opportunity to learn about disenfranchisement, I suppose.