Saturday, September 29, 2007

Trash or Treasure? Jewel or Junk?

Today I got to see The Crapture from the other side. I worked at the church's Fall Fair. Antique dealers rent tables in the assembly hall to sell "real" "antiques," while the church sells "better" donations from its members. Nothing on our tables was more than $5, and most treasures were $2 or $3.

It's an odd feeling to see a vase that used to be in your living room sitting on a table with glassware sets, the odd bit of crystal, silver-plated serving trays, and other general housewares.

I've worked a few garage sales in my day. I've known before that there's no telling what people will buy. But I learned it again today. A young couple with a child of the "let me down!" age bought a special picture frame. It has places for those small-sized school photos. Maybe they start taking those in daycare or junior kindergarten; if not, that family will be waiting awhile.

A woman I know bought a stained glass wall hanging that I didn't want to bring from Colorado but found in my stuff anyway when I unpacked it. I knew she'd like it and I'm glad it found a home where it will be appreciated.

One shopper who spent quite a bit of time at the "real" antique dealers' tables also bought a large blue stoneware horse from us at the "bargain" tables. I was glad she bought it; that horse had a lot of personality and I was afraid it would start talking to me. And what would I do with a big blue horse? As I carried it out to her van, which she loaded down with several boxes and bags full of stuff, she said she'd just finished her Christmas shopping. I wonder what the horse recipient will think of her taste in gifts. I hope whoever gets that horse likes it.

Oh, hell. I wanted the blue horse.