Monday, July 5, 2010

Food for Patriotic Thought

Temporarily suspending my Monday tradition (since March, anyway) of posting Today's pictures here. Instead, here's a thought or two for my friends on both sides of this border.

Canadians: Peace, order, and good government? Yep. I love the fact that I have access to healthcare here. I love that I can choose the most appropriate medical care for my unique situation, without limits. Why does this country not extend this right to the women in countries to whom it gives aid? The maternal health bill presented at the G20 summit does not allow women in countries WHERE ABORTION IS LEGAL to receive abortions if the organization providing it receives Canadian aid dollars. Maternal health initiatives should cover a full range of maternal health options. Good policy? No. Good government? No.

Americans: Liberty and justice for all? Well, almost all. For all who aren't gay or lesbian and want to commit to a relationship, that is. If you're gay or lesbian, you can't enjoy the same legal and human rights and responsibilities as the non-gay non-lesbian population. I cannot imagine what it must be like to be told that you are not fully human, that the self-evident truths people wave flags about and get misty-eyed over and shoot fireworks about AND GET KILLED FOR don't apply to YOU. I cannot imagine what people demonstrating against marriage rights will tell their grandchildren--what they tell their children and grandchildren now, some percentage of whom are gay or lesbian. I mean, I know what they say; you can read it far too many places. I just can't belive that they say it.

And so, to paraphrase Shakespeare: if we are poisoned, do we not die? And if you poison these people, do they not die? And if they die, do we not die a little, also?

Come on. Every woman, not just the women in Canada, is entitled to all the healthcare that's legal in her country, and Canada should be helping her fight to be sure she gets it, not holding her back. And about that right to marry--can we please just let every adult (yes, even the stupid prejudiced ones) get married?

Why are we even having these fights? In both countries, we need to move on. We are playing Russian Roulette with oil and drilling and the environment (and in this Canada with these gun laws, that's some feat, let me tell you), but until we (in both countries) love our neighbo(u)rs, both those next door and those on other continents, we will be spiteful and distracted and unable to focus on solutions. So put away the flags and facepaint. Start improving the world instead of bragging about it.

Okay, putting soapbox away now. Pictures will resume soonish.