Sunday, July 5, 2009

Holiday Highlights

Recently I went on vacation, which is a term difficult to define when one's life is infinitely satisfying. Same with "holidays." I marked both national holidays last week by working. Because I enjoy my work, that's why. I also puttered around, because I needed to.

And the beauty of this life is that I can declare holidays whenever I feel like it.

Last week, I skipped the hot dogs and potato salad, the dessert that looks like the flag, the beer. Instead, I made our traditional brownies in hono(u)r of the holiday. The traditional brownies are whatever kind we happen to have in the cupboard. I make them kinda whenever and declare them Holiday Brownies. They appear at official holidays like Thanksgiving (either or both) and Christmas, too. And no, they have no "special" ingredients. The chocolate in them is plennnnnty intoxicating.

Other than the brownies, the highlights of the recent holidays were in the quiet times. While walking back from "It's a shack, but it's OUR shack," we startled Doe-With-Two-Fawns and got to watch them bound up the side of the cliff. The lilies are out and prove irresistible subjects, as always. Roy saw a bug and snapped it. One of the lone deer came tearing through the yard on the lake side this afternoon while I was in my office.

Brownies, small moments of work and wonder, and summer. Not a bad holiday at all.