Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Ponderables

A few observations, unrelated to anything much or even each other.

Goslings are cute, but not after a few months. Then they're just geese, like their parents, drooling green slime behind them.

Fawns are really cute. They stay cute as they age. Even when they eat our lilies, they're cute. Even when they're older and pregnant with fawns of their own, they're cute. Sometimes they're beautiful, but they're always at least cute.

Better to be a fawn than a gosling, huh?

Marriage between two adults, regardless of gender, is legal in Canada. Some people don't like it. Some churches don't consecrate these marriages. But the marriages remain legal--even ultra-conservative/ultra-political Stephen Harper (Americans: he's the Prime Minister) won't reopen debate about it. And yet, Canadian society has not broken down. The yawning gates of hell have not appeared, ready to engulf us all, either--and no handbaskets (or handcarts) are in evidence. Take note, California and the rest of you moronic states lagging behind.

It shouldn't take someone's death (or a national holiday) to make people get together to share stories and honor people who have been important to us. (No, I'm not planning to attend any reunions anytime soon. This is one of those Great Ideas for Other People (TM).)

Now that I don't have to peer over a snowbank to see the lake from my office, it's hard to believe it was ever that snowy. That's because summer is my default season. I know this, yet I still marvel.

Even when you live in paradise, you have to do the laundry. And it's never completely done unless everything is washed, dried, folded, put away--and you're naked. You can't even be wrapped in a towel. And the sheets on the bed, all the beds, have to be clean. THEN it's completely done. Which makes then never.

OK, I didn't say any of these were particularly deep. Just random thoughts at the end of the month of May.